Monday, August 26, 2013

This Week I'm Reading...

Who's More Productive, Introverts or Extroverts?
As a self-proclaimed introvert, I always find it interesting to read about how the great introversion/extroversion divide plays out in the work force. I love that this article starts off with saying that there is no such thing as someone who's 100% introverted or 100% extroverted ("Such a person would be in a lunatic asylum," says psychologist Carl Jung). The article goes on to reference a previous post by Belle Beth Cooper, who notes oftentimes introversion is associated with shyness or a lack of "outgoingness," but rather introverts are individuals who find their energy from spending time alone and who lose energy from being around people for long periods of time. Preach, sister!

Check out the article for the answer to the productivity question, btw. Hint: It's all about mastering the art of the recharge.

The 100 Best Websites for Women 2013
I get really excited every year when TIME announces their top websites of the year, so Christmas came a little early when I found this Forbes list of the 100 best websites for women. I can tell you right off the bat that Sheryl Sandberg's Lean In website, Daily Worth and The Everygirl are essentials, but I can't wait to check out QuarterletteHer Agenda, and Emily Bennington's Lead Big blog.

Also, a special call-out for the Girls Who Code website, which made the list. Their founder spoke at TEDxKC last week and I'm planning to post a link to her talk as soon as the video is available.

13 Kansas City Happy Hours That Could Change Tonight's Plans
I find myself getting into a rut with Kansas City happy hours -- Sol Cantina, Gran Falloon, Tom Fooleries, repeat. This post from the Finding Kansas City blog lists some really great spots around town, including some of my favorites (i.e., PierPonts and Harry's Country Club). But now I've definitely added Extra Virgin and The Jacobson to my list.

Tell Your Family Story on Pinterest
I've been trying to get my mom to join Pinterest, but she'd held out because new technology intimidates her. I think this article blog post from Pinterest could potentially convince her otherwise. I love this idea of using a shared Pinterest board to keep track of family recipes, old photos, vacation locations and much, much more. Pinterest is so visual, user-friendly and "scrapbook-like" in the first place, so much so that any grandma, great aunt or technologically challenged mother could figure it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment