Saturday, May 12, 2012

Graduation Day

Today is graduation day at my alama mater, so I've been thinking a lot about my graduation, just one short year ago. It's so strange how vividly I remember sitting disbelievingly in the auditorium in my cap and gown, almost as if it happened a mere month ago, not 12 months ago.



One thing I've discovered from starting a career is that time goes by in a completely different manner. In school, time was divvied up by semesters and summer/winter breaks, but my first year of work has been relatively milestone-free, so everything seems to blend together. And it only gets faster from here on out, I hear.

The most common question college seniors are asked is: "What are your plans for after graduation?" Now, as a college grad a year out, the most common question I receive is: "What is the one thing you wish you would have known before you graduated?"

I've mulled over that question quite a bit. During my junior and senior years of college, I had very clear goals for my life after college. Namely: get a job. I read career books, I prepped religiously for interviews and I routed my resume through many hands for review. Essentially, I did everything right. Except one thing.

I didn't slow down. I didn't take the time to appreciate my last days in college. I was too focused, I guess you could say. In retrospect, I'm very proud of the proactive work I put into preparing for life after college, but it wouldn't have hurt me in the long run to live it up a little more, too.

Lesson Learned: "So read your books, but stay out late some nights, some nights."
 "Bruised," by Jack's Mannequin

No comments:

Post a Comment